Saturday, May 14, 2011

long awaited update

Here's an update for the last week. My midterm went by successfully…we’ll see how successfully it was when I get my grade. But I did my studying and pretty much just did the best I could so hopefully it all turns out well. One thing I noticed in Austria, is they are a lot more serious about spreading people out for the test so nobody can cheat. Our teacher had us sit with two seats in between each person, and had everyone also sit every other row so there was an empty row between each set of people. It’s funny, because in the US we sit with everyone all crammed in together, but I think it’s because in some of our college classrooms there is no way they could spread people out that much. 

The rest of the week was spent divided between relaxing and doing actual work. I had a presentation in my literature class Thursday (on the author Stephan Zweig, who we're reading in class) so I’m glad that’s over now. Thursday when trying to get to class (Erin, Ashley and I all wait at the same bus stop) there was a random huge 20-minute rainstorm. Salzburg is famous for those I guess.  The rain was POURING down and I was wearing a raincoat, but didn’t have my umbrella. So my jeans got soaked, and really all of us were soaked. So we usually get the bus at 4:09 to go to class and it didn’t come, didn’t come, so it was 4:30, when our class starts, and no buses had come, and no traffic coming from that direction, as well as sirens. We had to text our teacher and tell her we would be really late, and we ended up getting to class a half hour late and soaking wet. It wasn’t a very fun class…and I had to do my presentation after I got there.

Other than that rain, it’s been great weather all week! One day it was even sunny and 78 degrees! I love how summer starts earlier here. I’ve been running and going outside. We sat by the river one evening and just hung out.  We’ve watched a few movies inside in the evening, and we also went to IK (another dorm) to visit Paige where she lives and to have dinner outside in their patio area. We ended up with 12 or so people just hanging out. It was really fun! It’s great to just be spontaneous here and randomly decide to do different things.

This weekend I have one essay to write, I already did one Thursday. Other than that, it’s pretty much up in the air and I can plan to do whatever I feel like doing for the next couple days! Less than a week from today we’ll be flying to PARIS.. I’m so excited!! I can’t wait to see Paris! I’ve had a picture of Paris since I was 7 or 8 I think and told Mom I wanted to go there, so I guess it’s finally coming true J  

It turned out that we didn’t go to the Eagle’s Nest Friday, because we didn’t get signed up in time for the trip...so Gabriella is going to take us in our own group. Also, we’re still going to the Eisriesenwelt (ice caves) field trip and Gabriella said there might be some extra money for us to take one more trip somewhere, but she has to check with the program. Gisela, my German teacher from UMaine, is coming to visit us on the Monday after we get back from Paris for a few days!! I’m so excited. She’s the program director and she’s really an amazing person. It will be a lot of fun going to dinner with her! J

Friday night Ashley made us "beer batter chicken" which is basically fried chicken (her Mom's recipe). We also had rice, garlic bread and bundt cake for dessert! It was our first REAL meal for a while...sooo yummy! Being here has definitely demystified cooking for me, now I feel like I could go cook some fried chicken no problem if I wanted to. I guess I'm branching out my horizons in that area. Erin and I went for a little walk after dinner and that was fun. Today (Saturday) it's raining so I might just be staying inside today..I pulled a muscle in my leg running so I don't even think I should run today :/ well, that's all for now but more updates soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment