Thursday, March 24, 2011

Roma, and another weekend is coming!

Hello everyone..only one more class for me at 4:30 this afternoon and then it's the weekend! Although it won't involve quite the traveling I did last weekend, I'm still really looking forward to it!

Rome was really fun. The only thing that wasn't fun about the trip was the train fiasco when I was trying to come home, and also a 9 hour train ride is never fun, even if it does go smoothly. Luckily I was able to sleep for a lot of the way there. On the first day that we got there, we met up in the train station, and after we were all settled we walked around and just tried to get our bearings of the city. We checked out the Colosseum from the outside and ate some Italian gelato, which is very good but probably overhyped. The gelato I've gotten in Austria is just as good :) We also got stuck in a rainstorm at the Colosseum and as a result also saw a rainbow right over the Colosseum! That was really cool, getting stuck in a rainstorm, not quite so cool... also, later that night we had pizza which was yummy!

On Saturday we took a trip to Vatican City which was very interesting, I don't really know much about Catholicism but I'm glad I saw what it's like there. St. Peter's Basiica was sooo detailed, it was crazy how much work they clearly put into building it. We unfortunately didn't get to go in the Sistine Chapel because it was closed for father's day (their version of father's day) so I may have to try to go back sometime to see the famous Michelangelo ceiling! After the Vatican we hit some other locations like: The Spanish Steps (a famous square area with a church at the top), The Pantheon, The Piazza Navona, another famous square with 3 fountains, The Trevy Fountain, basically the most beautiful fountain I've ever seen, and then stopped for some real Italian pasta which was delicious! We also ate outside and had someone with an accordion come over and serenade us, it was pretty cool. Overall the food in Rome was delicious, the pastries were actually one of my favorite things there.

On Sunday we went to the Colosseum and actually took a tour inside, which was one of the most amazing things I think that we saw. It was crazy to imagine what it was actually used for so long ago, with all the gladiator fights and things. Then we went in the Forum which is a big area connected to gardens and old houses and ruins, but it's basically where the center of Ancient Rome was. There were just crumbling ruins everywhere you went, it was amazing! You couldn't go anywhere in Rome without seeing ancient ruins everywhere. Before we left we got more pizza for dinner which was VERY yummy.

It was a really fun trip and it was great to see Kris too. I'm glad I can say I've been to Rome! I bought a little painting of the Spanish Steps, and a t-shirt that says I "<3" Roma, like the picture of a heart (like an I love New York t-shirt). Kinda touristy but that's ok.

If I have a chance I wouldn't mind going to a few other places in Italy: either Florence, Venice or Sicily. We'll see what happens. This weekend, I don't have very many big plans. My friends and I were going to hike Mount Untersberg but I guess that not all the snow has melted so it's not really safe to hike yet. Hopefully we can go in a few weeks! For lunch I just made a grilled Nutella and banana sandwich and it was delicious...luckily I've also been running quite a bit so all this food hasn't caught up with me! It's a good way to see the city and it really helps me to find the fastest, easiest ways to get places and really know where I'm going in Salzburg.

Well, I'm going to go do some homework so I can get a lot of it done and then be able to enjoy the weekend! It's 60 degrees here today and I think it's supposed to be fairly nice weather this weekend, at least on Friday! It might rain on Saturday so I'll probably use that time as a chance to catch up on all my American TV shows! :) I'll try to write more later this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment