Monday, March 7, 2011

a note on supermarkets...and classes

So, supermarkets here are just such a different experience. I mean, first of all they close at 6:30pm at the very latest on weekdays,  5:00pm on Saturdays...and they're closed on Sundays! So if you don't have enough food you're in trouble on Sunday unless you want to go out to eat (which of course I DO but it's too expensive to do constantly). Anyway, it's really annoying that it closes so early because I'm used to being able to just walk into the grocery store at 9pm and grab something if I needed to.

Then when you're in there, you never see people loading up their carts like in the US with every single food item you could think of. When we go to the grocery store we usually buy most everything we need for 1 week at least in my experience. But here in Austria they seem to go every few days and just get small amounts of food. The reason for this is PROBABLY because they make you bag your own groceries and they don't wait for you to be done bagging yours when they start sending the next person's food down the line, oh no. So basically, you're frantically trying to grab your stuff and pay and speak in German while these people fly through their job.

For the most part I think food is cheaper here but with the exchange rate I'm probably paying the same as the US. But today I got 2 cans of soup, a box of cookies, eggs, paper towels, yogurt, cereal, a huge bag of pasta and some bread for like 16 euros, which really isn't bad. It's not "super expensive" like I imagined it would be, if you watch for sales. I also think fruit is quite a bit cheaper here than in the US but I'm not completely sure yet.

Anyway, enough ranting about supermarkets. Today I had my first day of class! It was basically a day to fill out some information sheets and start a review of some German grammar. The teacher seems nice, she expects you to put the work in but she seems friendly. Her name is Frau Weigl. I have to buy 2 books but I think they will total about 25 euros..which is a LOT LOT cheaper than what I pay for textbooks in America by FAR, so I'm relieved. Luckily I think most of my spending on the initial things I had to buy is over. After class we went to the mall/IKEA and I got a little desk lamp, a small mirror for my room, a frying pan and a colander today as well, which were all super cheap, which is good.

Also, I'm going to Rome in 2 weekends and will be meeting up with Kris there! I'm going by train.

Well, I'm going to go clean up my room and do some dishes, but I have more classes tomorrow so I will let you know how that goes!

Miss you all, more later!

No comments:

Post a Comment