Saturday, June 25, 2011

busy busy bee

Sorry I haven't written on this in so long! Only 6 days until I leave! I've been wrapping up some things this weekend and such. Erin and I went souvenier shopping together and I got a sweatshirt that says University of Salzburg on it, a Salzburg flag and a glass :) we also went shopping on Friday and I got a couple gifts for some people, and a few clothes..it was my last real shopping in Salzburg! The last thing I have to pick up is some chocolate to bring back for a few gifts and..that's it! Erin had to pick up gifts too. We had a shopping spree and picked up some Flux (a type of lemonade) to try, and then came back and made some pasta in my room. Then Saturday, today, we went to Berchtesgaden, in Germany (the very southern part of Germany, right over the border), so we could see the Eagle's Nest. In German it's called the Kehlsteinhaus. It was a cottage/house given to Hitler on his 50th birthday, that overlooks Salzburg and parts of southern Germany. I won't lie, it was a little eery being there. We ended up eating in a restaurant that may have been the location of Hitler's old office, or a guard's room..we couldn't tell for sure on the map..either of them is totally creepy! Below the Eagle's Nest is a "Dokumentation" museum which is about World War II and Hitler's rise to power, it had a lot of documents with Nazi propaganda, including pictures with children, a anti-Semitic children's book, letters back and forth, and different recordings of speeches, flags, a sculpture of Hitler..it was all really creepy stuff. We also saw an old Nazi bunker used for protection from Allied bombings. Being there made me extra thankful that the Allied powers won WWII. We had to take a bus into Germany, then a taxi up the mountain partway to the Dokumentation area (because the bus wasn't coming we took a taxi) then another bus to the little Eagle's Nest, then we hiked, and eventually took a Gondola, and then a bus back to Salzburg. lots of transportation!

After we left the Eagle's Nest we went on a half hour hike/walk to get to some awesome..alpine slides! They were really fun, you sit on a little car on wheels and go down slides, the little car you sit on has a break and everything. They were steep metal slides so we went pretty fast..and at the same time had gorgeous views of the mountains. It's hard to describe without seeing pictures, and I do have some pictures.. It was a really neat experience :) then we took a gondola back down to the ground! We then went back to Salzburg and Gabby treated us to dinner, I got really yummy Cordon Bleu and "chips" aka little french fries..sooo yummy. I also drank some Almdudler which is an Austrian soda, it's almost an apple flavor..I like it a lot! I'll miss drinking it in the US.

Tomorrow is a day I'm devoting entirely to homework and studying, perhaps a little run if I need to destress or something. I have my final for DaF class on Monday, but unfortunately we still have class Tuesday and Thursday as usual..I'll find out my final grade for the class before I even fly home, which is a good thing. I'm stressed though because I didn't know we had classes next week (including Gabby's class one last time) so it's a lot to do! I have to study for the final and take it, write 2 essays, and pack my whole room up and majorly clean everything. On Monday after the DaF final we're going to the bank to close our bank accounts (I never even used mine) and then Gabby is taking us to the lake. Tuesday we are going to meet the Rogenbauer's at a beer garden/restaurant to say goodbye to them, they were the founders of the Salzburg program and they are really sad that we are the last group to go through it. They're both really nice people.

Well, tomorrow will be a busy day. I think I'll go watch a movie and relax for a little bit..so excited to be home soon! Hope all is well! :)

*Edit* I wanted to add a list of the things Kris and I did while he was here visiting:
-walked on the Mönchsberg
-Festung Fortress (huge castle on the hill)
-St. Peter's Cemetery and oldest Bakery nearby
-looked inside the Dom church/around the Altstadt streets
-went to the Mirabell Market 2x and got yummy fried chicken/walked around
-he tried Mozartkugeln chocolate, Reyna's pizza, Murat's Kebap x2 and Heisse Kiste x2 :)
-we went to the Salzburger Dult, the local fair
-Milch Automat/walked on Hellbrunn Allee
-went to the Mirabell Gardens x2 and explored around
-went out at night to see some Salzburg nightlife: O'Malley's and Roses
-Stiegl Brauwelt, the brewery, to take the tour
-went out to dinner once
-Munich, Germany for the day
-souvenier shopping :)

Well, we could have done more as well, but we did a lot! I had a list and felt like writing it down. Unfortunately the weather wasn't always cooperating, but at least we did some fun things :)

No comments:

Post a Comment