Friday, February 18, 2011

and so it begins!

Hallo everyone :) welcome to my new blog which will describe all my travels in the coming months! At the moment I'm laying on my bed in Scarborough, Maine, and there are only 5 days until i leave for Salzburg, Austria to study abroad for Spring 2011!  Or as they call it in Austria, "Sommersomester." 

For the last couple months, I've been here in Scarborough working at the wonderful Ace Hardware and saving up money for my trip! I've also gotten to spend time with my family and some good friends, which has been a really great thing. At the moment, my time is being used for packing all my luggage into one suitcase (which can't weigh over 50 pounds, that should be interesting), figuring out financial stuff (I hate the exchange rate right now!), reviewing some German, and basically just doing whatever I can to be prepared for my trip.




We're headed down to Logan Airport on February 22 so I can fly out at 4:30pm! I'm flying over with another student from UMaine, Ashley, so it will be nice not to fly alone! We're due to arrive in Salzburg at 9:40am on Wednesday morning, no doubt with lots of jet lag and ready to crash into bed! But our orientation starts the next day on February 24, and we're headed out to Vienna for 3 days, to get to know the rest of our group and see another part of Austria! I've actually been to Vienna before and it was a great city, so I'm looking forward to getting back there again! 

Our classes start on March 1 and I will be taking 3 classes in Salzburg, one is a German language class and the others are more specific to Austria and history, and maybe a film class. I'm not exactly sure what those other two classes will be covering but I'm sure they'll be interesting! Once I'm done this semester I'll have successfully finished my German minor at UMaine :)

In case anybody was wondering that's reading this (if you didn't already know) I'm living in an apartment called a "Studentheim" which is basically student housing in Salzburg, although it's not owned by the university. My apartment is at Mozart Studentheim. I'm living in a suite, so I'll have my own bedroom but I'm sharing a bathroom and a kitchen with another suitmate..or two..i'm not really totally sure how many other people are in the suite. The "fun" part will be shopping for some bedding and kitchen supplies because apparently none of that is supplied by the Studentheim so I'll hopefully be able to find some pretty fast so I won't be sleeping on a bare mattress! For the first two nights I'll be staying at a hostel called Yoho because we aren't allowed to move into our Studentheim until March 1..then we're spending 3 nights in Vienna, then 1 more night in a hostel until I can settle into Mozart! I guess my building is pretty much right in the city center so it's a great location to be in, it's a bit of a walk to the University of Salzburg, but we're encouraged to buy an inexpensive bike over there!

Well, I think this will answer any questions anyone might have had up until this point, but if you have any more feel free to ask :) I also have Facebook and Skype (and email, obviously), so if you'd like to keep in touch any of those ways just ask. I know it will get busy over in Europe but I'll try to update this blog as frequently as I can! Right now I'm feeling excited, nervous, and everything in between! I think it's time for a good night's sleep because tomorrow involves a trip to two different banks, a few different visits to family members and even more packing and organizing! My to-do list seems to be growing as fast as I cross things off it...so I better get to bed. Bis später :)

No comments:

Post a Comment